Monday, August 8, 2011

Slippery Choices, Concrete Commands

Today God revealed the cause of my 2 month funk: stuck in the predictable, secure status quo. It has been a choice I didn't know I'd made, gradually, lazily, blindly. I mistook security for serenity. WRONG! Abundant life brings surprise, mystery, challenge and discovery in the atmosphere of abiding peace, just because Jesus walks with me each moment.

What have I learned to prevent slipping into that gray land again? How did it happen? How did I choose it and not know?

It began with confusion over how to proceed with my novel after constructive criticism. I assumed my inadequacy to meet the challenge and my need to rely on "experts." Unable to find experts, I quit and shelved the challenge. I chose discouragement, the absence of courage. Dare I say I chose to be a coward? Doesn't look good in print but it's a redemptive truth God offers me. My assumed inadequacy was right on because I did not pray for God's "exceeding" abundance to work in me; I prayed only for helpers.

God commanded me, along with Joshua and a lot of others, to "be strong and courageous." I'm on that quest daily, now that I have repented of choosing discouragement and laziness. Time to get back to living according to my favorite life verses: I Corinthians 2: 9 and Ephesians 3:20.

Anybody out there who can identify with the safe, secure and stifling life and who have escaped? Let us know your journey to the abundant life.

Sharon


No comments:

Post a Comment